Monday, February 8, 2010

I *heart* NY or Mark Cohen scarf

Yes, I am back. While on my blogging break I was quite busy.  The week before last I was prepping for O's 7th birthday tea party.  We had 9 little girls in hats and dresses. By the end of the day I was exhausted, but the party was a huge success.
Last week my Hubby had to travel to NYC on business, leaving me a single mom to 3 kids and 2 dogs. Things were fine. I had everything running like a well oiled machine. My one issue was jealousy.  My Hubby has now been to NYC two times and already has tickets for another trip.  I have never been and simply ache to go.  To rub it in he kept the Empire State Building in the background when we would talk over Skype as it was the view from his window.  He did win points when he brought me home this bag.  I have always wanted an I *heart* NY tote.  This is a shiny PVC bag, nice and thick.  Perfect for traveling my knitting around during the messy Wisconsin winter.
Finally, on  to some knitting.  A week ago Hubby, The Teen, and I went and saw RENT: The Broadway Tour.  Now, some would say that my Hubby looks a bit like Anthony Rapp (who plays Mark Cohen) and I agree.  Knowing that, it was decided that he needed to have a scarf like the one in Mark wears in the show (that way he can be a proud RENT-head and not be over obvious).  As you can see, I started making the scarf.  I cast-on 100 sts on size 5's and started going round and round.  After about 5" I started thinking the scarf looked a bit too wide.  3.5' later I finally decided it was something I could not live with (I have proved I am a true knitter by knitting 3' of scarf knowing that it was too wide, I would not be happy, and would have to take it out.)  Last night I gave in.  I cut the yarn that I was working with, used it to cast-on, and now I am knitting the new scarf from the too wide one.  I am much happier with it and think it will be awesome.  Oh, I also found a pattern to use as a guide  Classic Rugby Strip Scarf from Oddball Knitting. I chose to do an invisible cast-on so that both ends will look the same. Also, I really like the way a 3 needle bind-off finishes the end of a scarf especially when you are planning on adding fringe. I changed the stripe count to 30 rows per stripe.  Yarn, Plymouth Yarn Company Dreambaby D.K. in colors 120 (navy), and 0100 (white).

S

No comments: