Monday, December 21, 2009

But those were my mittens...

A while back I saw this yarn. It was a beautiful, bulky, extra fine Merino wool in gorgeous colors. I saw it and bought it in almost the same moment. I knew that it would make a great pair of mittens. I knew exactly which pattern I was going to use. I knew I was going to go home and get started on them right away. And I did. That was on a Thursday night. The next day I left town to travel to Kewaunee to visit my sister then spend a night in Green Bay with my Grandma. I worked on the mittens in my free time during the trip. Deciding that I could hardly go to Green Bay and not visit my mom, I stopped by on my way back home. That, my friends is where the tale of my mittens turns into the tale of my mom's mittens... and matching hat. 





My mom asked me what I was working on so I pulled out the mittens and showed them to her. Like a moth to a flame she grabbed the half done mittens and started to sing their praises. The yarn was SO soft, the design so simple and non-fussy, the colors a perfect match to her new coat. All the while she was talking about the mittens I kept trying to remind myself that those were my mittens. I was making them for me. Obviously that did not work. By the time I made it home I could no longer see the mittens on my hands. I also had a plan to go back to the yarn shop and pick up another skien of the yarn to make her a matching hat.





This wonderful yarn is Trabajos del Peru by Plymouth Yarn. The mitten pattern comes from the book One Skien Wonders from Storey Publishing. The pattern for the hat I found while doing a search on Ravelry. It is The Republic Hat by Nik's Knits and she has the free pattern on her blog.





I have decided that I am happy to send this matching set off to it's new home. Like most knitters, I am thrilled to see something I made mean so much to someone else. I hope my mom loves them and remembers just how awesome I am every time she puts them on.


S

No comments: